Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 2 in Paris

Today was not only exciting but jam packed full. The day started with Sainte Chapelle and ended with The Louvre and somewhere in the middle was Centre Pompidou.

Starting off with Sainte Chapelle was really cool. Sainte Chapelle is known for the stained glass. It was one of the first buildings to really build up the idea of stained glass. It was really cool to see the art work in person. A picture is nice but being able to see how the sun reflects through it is different, it takes the meaning of the building up a notch and helps the viewer see what the designer intended. People don't always get the privilege of seeing first hand what the designer saw and I'm grateful I was able to. It was amazing seeing how decorated the building was.
Sainte Chapelle

Sainte Chapelle- Notice all of the pattern and design
Sainte Chapelle- Notice the stained glass work
Sainte Chapelle
After Leaving Sainte Chapelle we walked over to Centre Pompidou which was opposite in design from Sainte Chapelle but it was equally beautiful. Some people may not like Pompidou as much but I think it was really cool especially in person. I like that someone was willing to take the chance to be different. At first I was not a fan of Pompidou but seeing the structural design in person changed my mind right away. Before I would look at Pompidou and be ok with it because it was unique but at the same time I wasn't a huge fan because it didn't look finished but now my whole opinion has changed.

Centre Pompidou
Centre Pompidou
View from the top of Centre Pompidou
Centre Pompidou
Not only was the exterior magnificent but so was the interior and the view. I really enjoyed looking at the artwork inside it was really cool and inspiring. And the view from the top was breathtaking.
Ending at the Louvre was the best part. I love the Louvre, it may be overwhelming at first but I enjoy the adventure it brings. At first when you walk out into the courtyard to see the Pyramid designed by I.M. Pei and a smile creeps on your face you already know it's going to be a memorable experience. The Louvre was great there is so much great artwork. Not only is the art amazing but it is well known too, probably one of the major pieces that everyone knows about is the Mona Lisa. I enjoyed the thrill of getting to the front of the crowd to see the small painting.


The Louvre

The Nike of Samothrace

The Mona Lisa

Antonio Canova's Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss 

The Venus de Milo
Starting out in Paris with all of these major events just makes me anticipate whats next.

No comments:

Post a Comment